Friday, August 27, 2010

Almighty

Today I re-watched the movie, "Bruce Almighty". Before I was a Christian it was one of my favorite movies because Jim Carrey is one funny dude. But now that I am Christian, I have a new found respect for the movie. The director was able to take a religious topic and show it in a way that everyone can enjoy. But the most important thing is that it shows just how hard being God is.

For those of you who have not seen the movie, it is about a man who feels that God has wronged him. Because he feels so wronged, God decides to give him a unique privilege. God gives the man, named Bruce by the way, all of his powers. He can do anything he wants, short of altering free will, and telling anyone that he is God. Through the course of the movie, Bruce makes his life as good as possible, but ends up ruining the lives of most of Buffalo, as well as causing mass chaos all across the world.

One thing most people don't understand is that the thing that makes good movies truly good, is that they have a moral. The moral in this one, I believe, is that God is God. By that I don't mean the obvious that God is not a camel or something. I mean that God is the only entity that could possibly be capable of what He does. Bruce realizes this the hard way, as many have in the past. As science progresses, too many people use the knowledge we gain, to try to play God. In the past couple decades people have gotten worse about this. In some ways it has lead to good things. Our medicines have improved, so much so that we can bring people back from being dead for extended periods of time. But in many ways it is for the worse, and the side-effects are disastrous. Now, I'm not gonna go off on a tangent, like I almost did, but the movie really shows just how great the lord really is. Yet even that movie doesn't really do God justice.

I guess what I'm trying, in a rather round about way, to say is that we don't give God the credit He deserves for the most part. When you next pray, don't just pray for your needs, but also pray a prayer of thanksgiving to the Lord.

No comments:

Post a Comment