Friday, July 2, 2010

Temptation

Alright, I'm going to start off with a fairly large topic, but one that every single person on this earth will have to deal with. Temptation can come in many forms, from a friend suggesting something, to television, to radio, to your own mind. Currently my main form of temptation comes through my family. One particular member actually, but that's going to far lol. This member of my family seems to think that I need to "become a man" and well, we all know what that means. Now, we all hopefully know that what is implied, is sinful. And in my opinion, it is one of the worst sins. The plan introduced by my family member is that he is going to get me alone with just him, his friends, and one of the local, easy girls. Then they will introduce alcohol, get me drunk, and use my lowered inhibitions to their advantage. Why he is so bent on doing this is beyond me, but thankfully I have the ability to avoid this situation. I have a firm support group I can turn to, including my other family members, youth group, and most of, if not all of my friends. I also have reasons of my own for not doing this. The fact that it's sinful is just one of them. The rest include my love for my girlfriend, my desire to be pure for whomever I marry, and many others.

Unfortunately not everyone has a firm support group they can turn to. For those of you who do not have that group, there are several options for you. Church is an obvious one, but for some it is hard to feel truly comfortable in that environment, or comfortable to enough to share this battle of temptation. Another option is your church's youth group. If you don't know what that is, it is a group of teens who meet with one or more youth leaders. These are people who are willing to give you advice, support, in some cases shelter, and other forms of aid. On top of this they teach you the word of the lord, in an easy to understand manner. Hopefully you'll be able to attend this group, and maintain some sort of comfort level with your leaders, and fellow youths.

If this doesn't work, you can join in activities at your school. Some are notorious for pushing bad decisions on people, like football, but there are many that are there to aid people, or just make them comfortable. I am a member of my school's bands, book club, knowledge bowl, and science club. Now, I realize I just described the ultimate geek, but I am an ex football player, and still dabble in soccer, and play all varieties of sports with my friends. What I'm trying to show, is there are groups where you can find comfort. Most schools have christian based clubs. Join those. If you are an athlete there are clubs directly for the christian athlete.

All in all, there is no way to completely avoid temptation, but the thing that makes us good Christians is finding ways to deal with temptation, before it crushes us, or drags us into the dark road of sin.

No comments:

Post a Comment